Monday, August 3, 2009

Flower of the Month - August - Gladiolus

The official flower of the month for August is the gladiolus. It's botanical name is Gladiolus communis, and it is also sometimes called the Sword Lily. The gladiolus has some great attributes that makes them popular for bouquets. You can find them in lots of colors such as pink, red, white, orange, yellow, purple, and bi-color. They are available year round, and because they are on a long stem, you get varied type of blooms. You will have a large open ruffled flower as well as a bud on the same stem. The flower's meaning is graceful; strong sense of character, and the word Gladiolus is Latin for "sword".





I was thrilled that I did the research for this post because I found that I REALLY LIKE this flower. And until I did this, I had never given thought to doing an aisle runner design with painted gladiolus flowers on them, but I am going to have to do one now!

2 comments:

  1. Nice title for your blog post-Aisle paint for you! Too clever!!

    Great flower images, I'm such a research junky...I think it adds so much more to a special event when everything has meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty! Thank you for lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails